Welcome to the World Legal Summit Jos, Nigeria!
Date: August 1, 2019
Time: 8:00AM – 2:00PM
This first part of the WLS is designed to bring disparate jurisdictions together in collaboration around building a better understanding of what is happening with technology regulation and governance world-wide. Jos, Nigeria will bring a unique viewpoint to the discussion, focusing on the legislative and governance structures in Nigeria. WLS will curate and frame these discussions into global insights which will be published to enable governments, technologists, academics, and others working on these areas to have better global insights for further development of their work.
This year the WLS is focusing on three main categories:
Identity and Personal Governance
Cyber Security and Personal Data
8:00am: Mix and Mingle + Registrations
9:00am: Welcome + Opening Ceremony
9:30am: Tea break
10:00am: Discussion One: Identity & Governance
11:00am: Discussion Two: Autonomous Machine
12:00am: Discussion Three: Cyber Security & Personal Data
1:00pm: The activities of The Hague Institute for Innovation of Law (HiiL) Netherlands, in Nigeria and West Africa by Odunoluwa Longe Country Representative, West Africa.
1:30pm: Closing Remarks
Resource Persons will include:
- Hajiya Hadiza Ali Dagabana, General Manager, Legal, Regulatory & Compliance Services Department, National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) | Bio
- Davidson Oturu, Partner, Intellectual Property & ICT, AELEX Legal Practitioners & Arbitrators/Member, Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC) Roadmap Committee on the use of FinTech in the Nigerian Capital Market | Bio
- Joel Gogwim, Head of ICT Industry Training Services Department, ICT Directorate, University of Jos/Coordinator Mikrotik Academy, University of Jos, Jos, Plateau State/Coordinator of Cisco Networking Academy Support Centre for West and Central Africa (English Speaking Countries) | Bio
- Rotimi Ogunyemi, Managing Partner Bayo Ogunyemi & Co/Co-Founder and President, Spindlar Cyberlaw Centre/Lecturer of ICT Law & Policy at Digital Bridge Institute of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC)/ Co-Vice Chair of the Information and Communications Technology Law Committee- Nigeria Bar Association-Section on Business Law (SBL) | Bio
- Ayodele Joshua, Managing Director of Royford Technologies Int’l Limited | Bio
Discussions on the above topics will be centered on the existing or proposed legislation, regulation and standards, major gaps in the existing legislation, how practical is it given the rapid transformation of technology, who does it apply to, the regulatory and governance bodies dealing with that topic area, how to enforce it, what has been the tech industry’s response?
Collaborate with us and the global community to further the understanding of legislative and regulatory frameworks. These frameworks are enabling the sustainable development of emerging technologies and your input is important!